Thursday, October 11, 2012

Port Anniversary

Here is a post I put on Facebook today:

Begin Post
“I was in a meeting that got interrupted so I took the time to enjoy the view of two container vessels at T46. I was thinking how much I love the working waterfront and how important it has been to my life. Then it hit me that October 1 marked 16 years since I first set foot in the port for a two-week, temp assignment. It’s absolutely crazy and astonishing that 16 years have passed! It’s amazing how life takes you places unexpected but perfect for you. I didn’t know much about international trade when I first joined the port, but I now know it is such an important part of our state’s economy. A new reports shows that 40% of jobs in the state of Washington are related to international trade. And I am extremely privileged to be a part of it. Here’s to another 16.
End Post


When I stepped in the port building 16 years ago, I would never have fast forwarded to my still being here. In retrospect, I don’t think I was looking that closely at the future. So I guess I don’t really know what I expected. Well I did expect to be married with kids by now but that is a different post. LOL!

It’s been such a perfect ride. There have been times when I was not satisfied, but I also felt like I was in the right place and just needed to hold on longer. I can say that my four bosses have been wonderful. I have been fortunate that each cared for my success and allowed me to train and develop. I’ve also had bosses who have challenged me to grow and move in directions I didn’t feel I was capable of being successful in. I also have been fortunate to work on some great teams with people who have been awesome.

The port has been good to me! At this point, I figure I will just retire here. We will see if God agrees :o)!

No comments: