Friday, October 22, 2010

Santorini

I forgot to mention one story from Rhodes. I was walking around and restaurant workers were trying to entice me and everyone else into their restaurants. So, this one guy asks me where I was from. I said Seattle. He said, ah Seattle! In Africa? I was like, um no USA. LOL.

Yesterday morning, we arrived in Crete at 7:30. The departure was 11:00. So, what happened was, I intended to get up at 8:00 then 9:00...long story short, I missed Crete. Bummed, but a sister was tired! I already plan on coming back to Greece, so it's all good. LOL.

I feel I should mention that it has been raining a lot, but when the sun clears for a few, it's very nice and warm. So, in Rhodes, after the rain, it was gorgeous ;).

I love Santorini. The weather was fantastic and made for a lovely sunset. That would be a great spot to have a vacation home. To borrow a line from my friend Dreeny, "A message to the one." Well my message is that I want to honeymoon in Greece. Actually, I had always wanted to save Greece for my honeymoon. I keep seeing all these gorgeous rings so I feel like marrying myself. LOLLOL.

I rode this crazy cable car ride up to the top, which reminded me of the crazy cable car ride in Singapore. This one was much shorter! I rode it with the couple from California, Steve and Sarah. We parted ways, then I found them and we hung out some more.

When it was time to head back, the line to return to the ship via cable car was SO long. Luckily our tour guide, Vassiliki, had told us to find her and she would help us. When we found her, she told us to relax some more. We would be okay. So the friends from Australia, Margaret and Linday, were there as well. We ended up entering through the exit and bypassing the line. It was so fun and the six of us rode down together (each car holds six people). I had mentioned I hate stuff like that so we all kept screaming and Steve was shaking the car. It was the funniest three minutes ever.

Then us minus Vassiliki had dinner and that was fun too!

So got up and checked out. Bit of a mishap as I lost my sneakers! Long story, but they are gone. Note to Stephanie: If you are reading this, it is the pair I bought from Brooks Sports during their friends and family discount!

Anyway, traffic in Athens was so bad. The Turkish Prime Minister is here and traffic was a mess! Driving in Athens reminds me of driving in India. Not sure of the system, but the locals seem to know what they are doing. Craziest driving outside of Bangalore. The motor bikes make their were to the front and people don't obey traffic lights. They don't obey the police directing traffic either. It's organized confusion! I thought people were in a hurry just because the morning traffic job but discovered it's just crazy here.

Athens feels so huge, dense, and hectic.

When we finally got to our hotel, our rooms weren't ready. I had tea with the couple from Australia, Helen and Steve. We were going to take the shuttle to the city center with Margaret and Linday, but it was full so we walked. I went to the Acropolis with Helen and Steve and I am so excited to have gone there!

We parted ways, and I took some pictures and went in search of some new sneakers. I found a pair so that's all good.

Now, I am going to find some food and then organize and go to bed early.

My flight to Amsterdam leaves at 6:35 a.m. My wake up call is at 2:50. Lawd help! I will take the train from Amsterdam to Brugge. You may wonder why I'm not flying directly to Belgium? When I booked the ticket, I had planned on making Amsterdam my home base and taking day trips. Belgium was added on later and the change fee and new ticket price was more than just taking the train. It all works out. I might stop in Brussels on the way to Brugge. Depends on how tired and motivated I am!

Miss You!

P.S. Congrats to my friend and sister, Desiree (and Jason) on the safe arrival of Maxwell "Max" Herbert Anderson on October 19. Another nephew!

No comments: