Sunday, October 24, 2010

Brugge

I woke up very early Saturday morning, and headed for the airport. I went to bed gang buster early, but couldn't sleep very well. I was concerned about not waking up. I again had serious thoughts of canceling the rest of the vacation. I have no idea what my dilemma is, but I pressed on, and here I am in Brugge!

I took the train from Amsterdam here. My train was through Antwerp. I decided to walk around the city for a minute so I basically walked around the area surrounding the station. The station itself was very beautiful! Amazing.

Arrived in Brugge and located by bed and breakfast. I rested and got organized, and I then decided to walk around so I would have some idea of where I was going to be going today. I ended up in Market Square and visited the Church of Our Lady. There was a group practicing for the Eucharist service, and I sat and listened. I decided to stay for mass. Then headed home.

I went to bed early and slept 12 hours. Guess I was tired!

Got up and had breakfast and then off.

Today I've done quite a lot of walking! I went back to Market Square and back to the Church of our Lady, which I find so peaceful! I was going to climb the steps the Bell Tower, but part of the view is blocked because of work. For 366 steps, I want a full view. LOL. I walked around Burg Square. I visited the Basilica of the Holy Blood. The relic, which is believed to be the Blood of Christ, was available, and people had a chance to touch it and pray. The Groeninge Museum is exhibiting some modern art. I'm not a fan. I went to the Memling Museum, which has some impressive pieces. They also had some displays of the modern art, which again I don't really like. Case in point the HUGE inflated "balloon" of a naked man. Really? I spent a lot of time in the Minnewater Park. Very beautiful and peaceful. Also visited the Begijnhot, which is where Benedictine nuns live.

It pours rain at intervals and then the sun shines very brightly. It's actually warm when the sun is out. It makes for a nice, fall day. Now the rain and hail, did I mention it hailed, not so much! Actually with the hail melting, it actually looks like snow.

Tonight, I'm going to reread my guidebook to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'm indifferent towards the chocolates, fries, and waffles now. We will see how I feel tomorrow. Then it's do it now or wait for the next trip. LOL.

I'm not sure if I will blog tomorrow. If not, I leave here Tuesday for Amsterdam for four nights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi LaTonja,
Great you visited Brugge.
I would like to see some pictures.

Best regards,

Gabriela