Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Athens

When I arrived in Athens, I went in search of the Globus rep. I didn't see her right away. I started to panic, but I was pretty sure I was in the right place so I just chilled and kept watching for someone. Before a mental breakdown, I saw the Globus sign! So, I waited for the rest of the people who would be riding to me.

I discovered we were making two stops. One stop was for the people doing a three-day cruise and the next for the people who were going to do the four-day, which I am on. I met some really cool people who were doing the three-day. There were from Minnesota and part of a Lutheran church group. They were very nice, and I know I would have had a good time with them. I'm glad to have crossed their paths in this journey of life.

So, I checked in and found a cash machine. Then, I walked around my neighborhood, which is nice. Then I did the blog saying I was safe. After that, I met with my group. We had a briefing and made introductions. There are four couples and a pair of friends traveling together for a total of eleven. I now know this about the couples:

The friends traveling are from Australia. One of them is very well traveled and a teacher, and they were in Italy before Greece.

One of the couples are boyfriend/girlfriend, and they are from St. Louis. They flew through Atlanta and his luggage went missing. They actually just got it today.

One couple is from California. They are on a two and half month vacation. She quit her job, and he is taking time off unpaid. They drove across the U.S. for 2 1/2 weeks. Then, they went to Italy, now Greece. After Greece, they head back to the U.S. and will drive back across the county on their return. They are going to start a family soon.

Another couple is from Australia. They are both professors. She in law and he in philosophy. They are celebrating their 30th anniversary! They are both very smart and well traveled.

The final couple is from Wisconsin. He is a retired Methodist preacher and she is a pediatric nurse. We had a long talk about the times and we are not quite sure what God is doing, but something is about to happen. It's getting "dark" but that is when the light will shine all the brighter. I actually felt very comforted by our conversation.

Our tour guide is interesting. She can be very nice, and she can be short with people, which I find funny. It could be cultural, but you can tell when she doesn't like what she is hearing. No one has come out and called her rude, but people keep saying she isn't helpful. LOL

After the meeting, I went to bed. This was around 7:30.

No comments: