Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rhodes

I visited Rhodes today. Last night, I kept waking up, but I kept going back to sleep! So I decided to sleep in. I missed breakfast and was going to go back for lunch but decided today would be my weekly fast day.

I basically have been walking around all day. Again, it poured. I was soaked. I keep praying I don't get sick. I've been down poured on too many times this trip. My shoes are still wet from Monday.

I felt like a peeping tom because I would look into each house when the doors were open. Normally an older woman sitting doing something. I am so curious about the lives of the people in the countries I visit. I saw clothes drying outside, and when you are seeing some one's underwear and clothes, you wonder who are they? What is their name? What is their age? Do they have a family? What do they do? Are they happy? I heard a couple arguing when I was walking. I don't know Greek, but I can hear anger.

This place is pretty old are some homes in the old city seem really cramped. I can't imagine families living there together without being cramped! This from a single woman who likes her space.

I saw the Knights of St. John Castle that was built during the crusades. The wall surrounding the city is pretty formidable and reminded me of Wales. I saw the spot were the Colossus of Rhodes once was.

I've been thinking maybe I can sell some stories of my travels to Essence or Oprah. Like have a section about traveling by yourself. I could either use an angle as a single, black woman or just a single woman, which could open up my options. Another angle would be traveling to smaller places and getting in the heads of locals. Like people who have lived there all their lives. Do they travel? When they were growing up, did they ever want to leave? That sort of thing.

I also visited a mosque. I realized that I have no idea how a Muslim service is ran or what anything means. I know some of the movements but not what the movements mean.

Well, tomorrow is the last stop on the cruise. Then back to Athens. Then off to Belgium.

Oh. I bought these wash clothes from REI, apparently wash clothes are considered a personal item. Anyway, there are two in package for $2. I am a believer. They dry fast, and they can be washed! They are the truth.

No comments: