Thursday, November 6, 2008

Who am I at War With?

Psalm 62 is one of my favorite Psalms. But, how does one make the leap from verse two to verse six?

Verse two reads, “He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved.” Verse six reads, “He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defense; I shall not be moved.”

I can only imagine the state of my world if I were not moved by work, relationships, feelings, my drama, and my seemingly unshakeable pattern of flirting with dangerous / unhealthy situations.

There are situations where I honestly feel I have the “right” to feel bitterness, hatred, anger, disillusionment, and animosity. I have to remind myself that is not the point.

There are times when I am on top of the world. Verse six is within my reach, but here comes life. I come tumbling down the mountain and into the valley.

Recently, Minister Terry spoke from the topic “Do you know what you are fighting for?” As I listened to the message, I jotted down some thoughts.

There are times I feel as if I am at war. I am at war with situations, and I am at war with people.

In truth, I am at war. I’m just not exerting my energy towards the correct enemy.

I end up fighting the situations. I end up fighting the people. I end up exhausting myself.

Because I never fight the real enemy, I never fight the real issues.

I end up not acknowledging or following the war plan. Ephesians 6:12 says, “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”

We are at war together fighting a common enemy. What sense does it make that we fight each other? Wouldn’t it make more sense to stand together as brothers and sisters in Christ and fight the real enemy?

As we enter the last months of 2007, I invite us all to take an inventory of what is moving us. What is our attention focused on? What is causing us stress, worry, and anxiety?

Who we are fighting? Who are we fighting with? What exactly are we fighting for?

The battle plans are drawn out. All you have to do is prepare for your position.

No comments: