Sunday, November 9, 2008

Letting Go

I awoke this morning with two sets of thoughts. This is the second.

I tend to hold myself back. This is true in a lot of areas. I pledge to open myself and simply just let go.

I remember when I was in college. I invited a gentleman I liked over. During the course of the evening, he read my poetry. When he read some of my poems, he gave me the realest, honest, helpful assessment about my poems. This is an assessment my PhD-laden professors never gave me.

His assessment was simply: You hold yourself back.

What he meant was that the poetry would start out powerful and open, but in the end, I would shy away from the honesty and openness that led the reader in.

Part of the problem is that I tend to be miles away from where I am. My mind is in a constant state of motion, which actually is not a bad thing, but sometimes the voices need to be silenced.

Another part of the problem is that I tend to sit back and absorb what is going on around me, which is actually not a bad thing either, but at some place in time I must engage.

I am going to learn to let go. I am going to learn to be honest and open in my writing and life even if that openness leads to being vulnerable.

I’m wide open. LOL!

No comments: