Sunday, November 16, 2008

I Believe That Children are Our Future

The children in my life are absolutely amazing. Even though I openly refer to a few of them (affectionately) as “birth control, I’m learning many things from them.

First of all, I am amazed how honest and open children are. It’s actually refreshing. With adults, it’s sometimes hard to gage the truth. With children, they are direct and to the point. I never have to question where I stand with them. I wonder at what age we lose this natural honesty.

I am also struck that the biggest gift I can give a child is my time. This is the one thing they want, yet the thing that is hardest for me to do. I could go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a gift, but the gift that really goes over well is a gift that leads me to spend time with the child.

I was reminded of this last Sunday where there were two birthday parties to attend – ahem, next year lets combine the parties – but I was struck that my presence alone was the real gift to the child. The icing on the cake was my actually engaging in the gift with them. When this is not a profound revelation, I was reminded again of it.

I pledge to spend more time with the kids in my life. They deserve it, and in the end, they edify me in ways they may not even realize. They ask questions that make me think, and they challenge me to look past my own desires and wants, which is no small feat.

1 comment:

Liza said...

What you said about children being honest is funny. Just yesterday, Susan made a list of each family member and said what she did or didn't like about them. She was a bit upset with the family because we told her to do her homework when everyone else was playing or watching t.v. (everyone else had already finished homework.) So most of us got labeled as mean, bossy and we don't do what she wants. Dad got a better review...he was listed as nice and he didn't boss her around. She also said that she loved herself and that she was a fun person. There's child-like honesty for you!

I am also reminded of my experiences in Portugal. The Portuguese are brutally honest! One day, my companion and I were late getting to our bus stop...we had about 5 minutes to get there and it usually took over 10. If we missed our bus, we would have to wait an hour for the next one. So we ran as fast as we could. Luckily, it was all down hill! So we get to the square, we see the bus, the door is open, we see the bus driver, he looks right at us....and shuts the door and drives away! We start to grumble about how he saw us, we called out to him to wait and he just drove on by! How unfair! Well, a Portuguese woman was sitting there watching our frustrated tirade. She asked what was the matter, so we explained it to her. Her reaction? "Well, your fat and could use the exercise!" Our jaws hit the ground! We couldn't believe anyone would dare say such a thing! But then we just had to laugh....and laugh and laugh!

Be careful what you wish for....you just might get it! I hope you can laugh when it happens!