Thursday, November 6, 2008

Flights of Fancy

I have an extremely overactive imagination. God made me a writer, and it appears the gift comes with a side of drama and an extremely rich inner life.

An example of my over-the-top imagination occurred during a flight to Houston in April. The plane went through extreme turbulence, and it occurred to my overactive imagination that this could be the end.

After accepting my fate, I prepared myself for the end. My recent fascination with Elizabeth I, England’s Virgin Queen, led me to decide my last thoughts would be, “This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.”

Of course I did not die, but the words led to more thinking. Whenever unpleasant situations happen in my life, I woefully decree, “The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away. Blessed is the Name of the Lord.”

In truth, the decree has nothing to do with celebrating God’s omniscient will over my life. It has more to do with me wallowing in self pity. But, what if my response to the good, the bad, and the ugly events in my life was, “This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.” It would certainly change my reaction and brooding—I mean musing.

Second Corinthians 10: 5 reads, “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.”

This scripture is especially important when my desire takes my imagination in areas it should not be in my single state. In truth, up until three years ago, I had a predictable schedule. Every two years for about six years, I would “succumb” to my temptation. Around year four, I recognized the pattern, and year six may have been a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Then, while reading Joseph’s story, it hit me. Has God not been too good to me for me to do this sin against Him? This course of thought has helped me thus far in keeping myself, and it can be applied to all areas of my life.

The bottom line is we are bombarded with thoughts and desires that contradict with our faith. I find that it’s human nature to jump to the worst-case scenario. Perhaps this is a coping mechanism. It also seems that we desire everything we cannot have. In fact, it seems we desire everything but what we have.

Regardless of our temptations and desires, God has been too good to us for us to sin against Him! Regardless of whether the devil “sent” the sin or your desire “conjured it up,” God is faithful and just to keep you.

No comments: