Thursday, November 6, 2008

Servant's Heart

In Acts 10, Peter makes the statement, “God is no respecter of persons.” While God is not a respecter of persons, I recently realized I am.

This revelation came seemingly out of nowhere and pierced me deeply. The event that birthed this truth happened while I was ushering.

I had always considered myself a servant, but I must admit that there were certain personalities that always challenged me. I must also admit that most of the time this challenge had more to do with issues in me than them as individuals. There was that 5% of the population that I did not want to serve. God challenged my 5%.

I actually feel great about this revelation. I count it an honor that God would see fit to chastise one so unworthy as myself. I turned directly to Hebrews 12:5-8, which reads, "And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons."


In 2007, I had to truthfully answer the question, Am I ready for the responsibility and tests that come with the prayer for a servant’s heart?

As I enter 2008, my prayer is that God gives me a true servant’s heart.

The number eight is significant as it represents new beginnings. The number seven represented completion. Let us all make sure we have completed the assignments God gave us to prepare us for our new beginnings.

A servant’s heart is not just important for ushers. A servant’s heart is important for each person claiming the name of Jesus Christ.

God is preparing His church. In what areas is God chastising you? What is the 5% you are holding back? God is going to challenge it. These are the areas you need to develop. This development will propel you straight into your God-given destiny.

On behalf of PCC Women’s Scroll staff, I wish you a prosperous and blessed 2008. We are excited to be entering our seventh year, and we ask you to pray for this ministry.

No comments: