Friday, October 31, 2014

Venezia...Another Summer Day Has Come and Gone in Either Paris or Rome

Today is my last day in Venice. Tomorrow the long journey home begins. My flight leaves Venice at 10:00 a.m., and I will be home 9:00 p.m. Saturday.

It hit me this morning that it is Halloween. It is my third Halloween in Europe. I was in Munich last year, and I was in Vienna the year before that. This is the first time I saw kids trick or treating. As I was walking to the train station, they were everywhere. And I almost got mowed down a few times. Never stand in the way of kids and trick or treating. I am thinking of you Linus, hoping the Great Pumpkin will come.

Today started off lazy. I slept in and missed breakfast. I started to get a little organized, and I will finish tonight.

I left late, and I started off walking in this area, but there really is not much to see. I was called Rasta Man by some guy hanging with his friends. Hmm. Maybe that is is why Ivar mentioned weed. He may have just assumed.

Anyway, off to Venice I went.

Since I started late, I took the water bus to Saint Mark's instead of walking. I started off walking the long promenade next to St. Mark's.

I left my backpack today so I decided to go in. Yesterday, I would have had to check my bag in, which seemed like an extra step. This lady yesterday actually tried to put her bag under her sweater, but they were like no. It was not as bad as I remember. It was dark yes but less crowded so I could actually enjoy the church.

I happened upon a mass service so I joined it. I found out later it was a private mass. This group  from the U.S. is on a pilgrimage going from church to church doing mass. I was in the back and some of the group beckoned me forward to do Sacrament so I was invited sort of. The family I talked to was from CT.

It did give me a flashback to taking the Sacrament at St. Peter's. That place is like Fort Knox. Anyway, the lady in front of me was returning to her seat without chewing. She was stopped and forced to chew and swallow.

I had dinner at a really nice place called Bacaroo Jazz. It had pictures of greats like Billie Holiday, Charlie Parker, and Miles Davis. It was cute and hip.

I will edit when I get back. The post from Venice are especially suspect. Whole paragraphs get erased and the mouse keeps jumping to odd places, which ends up with words not complete.

My final thought is something I keep reminding myself, and it is this. I have nothing to complain about. My life is more than good. It is filled with love, joy, peace, and blessings. Counting and appreciating it is the focus. I have moments where I focus on what I think is missing. Or I want more of what I already have, if that makes sense. I certainly do not need anymore possessions. What I need more are of things that are not tangible and cannot be bought or sold. And it all starts with a spirit of gratitude.

No comments: