Thursday, October 30, 2014

Venezia X 2

Last night, when I turned on the television for some background noise, I was a little surprised to not hear a Slavic language. Then there was this duh moment, you are now in Italy.

The energy and pulse in Italy is certainly different. It is a shame to make a comparison, but I would describe it as an irregular heartbeat that is beating very fast. Less ordered and a little more chaotic and certainly more fast paced. It is neither good or bad, it just is this way for me. I like Italy for visiting, but it is not a place I think I would want to live.

I took the train into Venice this morning, and I was walking so fast. I had to ask myself why I was walking so fast. So I just slowed down.

So I spent the day walking, sitting, writing. Walking sitting, writing. Walking, sitting, writing, and eating.

After hours of writing, I would think I would have had some clear revelation of where and what, but alas, more questions. I think I am okay with that. I do not have to plan out the rest of my life this very moment. It would be nice to have a clue and a plan, but you know how that goes. The story of the best laid plans.

Today, I started at the train station, and I made my way to the Bridge of Sighs then sat in the square to people watch and listen to the music. On the way to the first stop, I  would go down different paths. I would find a nice spot to sit and think. I walked in circles, and I hit some dead ends, but that is part of the journey and it kind of felt like life. There is no straight path. We sometimes end up walking in circles or hitting a dead end, and it is just part of the plan. You could be walking along and want to see what is down this street and then back track because it is not what you had in mind. I wanted to get away from the crowd, and that was sometimes not a good thing.

So this walking is the beginning of my marathon training. I need to start practicing the hills. I was starting to lose weight but the pasta, pizza, gelato, the three sodas I have allowed on this trip, and that Twix I was craving are starting to show.

I need to make it through Thanksgiving and Christmas without too much of a backslide! Resistance is futile so I need to step my game up.


No comments: