Saturday, October 25, 2014

Montenegro...I am Indifferent

I opted to go to Montenegro for the day. As a person who analyzes data all day, I figured the odds of my returning to Croatia are a lot higher than the odds of my ever making a trip to Montenegro so off I went.

After the splendor of the Croatian cities, especially Dubrovnik, I was a little underwhelmed at Montenegro. Rick Steves calls this country the next Croatia, but I was not exactly blown away by it. Yes. It is pretty but it just lacked that sparkle I felt when sitting in cities like Dubrovnik, Zadar, Pula, and Opatija. The four cities just mentioned could have me sitting on their shores for hours and days mesmerized by the sparkle.

We took a boat ride to this church, which I think was called Lady of the Rocks. Interesting history. Throughout its history people have left gifts to the Virgin Mary for things like a loved one returning from the sea or fishermen bring gifts after surviving a storm. Brides who get married at the church will also leave a gift. So a couple, who I think were Russian, came to the church to pray to the Virgin Mary because they were having a hard time conceiving. Long story short, they had triplets so they gave a gift there.

There is also a history in that area where only the children of the son are considered grandchildren. So if you have a daughter, her kids belong to the other grandparents.

Went to the city of Kotor. I went to an Orthodox church to pray and light a candle. I was in there, and I could tell something was about to happen but could not figure out what. I had heard loud singing earlier, but had no idea what was going on. Anyway, my instinct was telling me to exit stage left so I did. There was a wedding procession! The groom and his family were outside waiting as the men in the bride's family led her around the town, I think three times. I think she was flanked by her brothers and there were other male relatives behind her as her dad led the procession with the flag of the country. She was so beautiful in her lovely dress. I could not get a clear picture, but I think I may have ended up in some of the pictures of the groom because of the angle the camera was. I was like oh yeah, it is Saturday.

We also went to Budva but by that time I had already not felt connected to Montenegro so I hung out on the shore before taking a stroll around the Old Town. The thing about making connections with cities is that it is never the city. So the old adage, it's not you, it's me is true.

On a side note, a lot of Russian millionaires vacation in Montenegro.

As I was sitting in the church, I saw a lot of locals greet. They would shake hands and do the kiss cheek three times.

So there were a lot of priest there for the wedding. And one of them was young and well attractive. I kind of chuckled because my mind flashed to that Sex and the City episode where Samantha met a priest she liked. I will not call my priest what she called her's. I will just use Carrie's term and say he was a ˝hot priest.˝ Does anyone know if Orthodox priest are allowed to marry. Joking!

I spoke to our guide Irene, and she has been a guide for 35 years. She said she only works for half the year now. And of course when she is home, she does not want to travel. It has to be hard with a family. I met one guide whose wife was also a guide. He said during the travel season, one is coming as the other is going. Then when they are both home during the off season, it is weird. Like who are you again. He was also a guide for decades so even when his kids were young.

One thing I did mean to mention about Dubrovnik is how different it feels in the day vs. the night. Like Venice, the city can be a crowded mess of cruise people and tour groups during the day. But having spent the last three nights there, I can say its absolutely amazing to walk through at night with just the locals and travelers who are staying over for a few nights.

 I had dinner with Tammy from the tour. She is from Denver. She is also good people. She is the person I borrowed the book I mentioned yesterday from. Before dinner, we stopped to listen to some music from a group playing in front of the cathedral. We had dinner and, we talked about life. Great conversation. Tammy, if you are reading this, I think you are wonderful and hope our paths are able to cross again sometime in this life.

While we were eating the band we saw earlier came to the restaurant we were eating out. So before we left, I went to use bathroom, which is unisex. Yes. You know where this story is going. So I closed the door, and then I closed the door to my stall and did my business. Now that I think about, before I flushed and left, I though I heard some noise. Anyway, I come out of the stall to see some guy using the urinal. Luckily I did not see anything, but it was enough to know. I have never washed my hands that fast. When I turned to leave, he was waiting for me to finish. He did not seem sheepish so I tried not to be. I never! I am single, no kids. Using the potty is private time - always!

After dinner, Tammy went back home but I stayed in the city and wrote near the water. I was about to leave, but I heard a group singing songs from the '80s so I sat and listed for a while. They went on a break, and I tried to to stick around. I gave up because I was not sure how long they would be on break. This reminds me,a lot of 80's music being played in Croatia.

There were families out and about in the main square, which is another reason I like Old Cities and their squares. All the activity at night. The parents were eating and the kids, who I assume are local, were playing games. It looked like Hide and Go Seek. With all the alleys and side streets, that would be a fun place to run around as a kid to play.

Anyway, when I happened upon the band, they were playing Pink Floyd's ˝How I Wish You Were Here.˝ This song has always made me a little sad because it gives me a longing feeling, but I am not quite sure what I am longing for or where He is.

˝How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl,
Year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found
The same old fears.
Wish you were here."

In the same way ˝Stairway to Heaven˝ gets me.
 ˝There's a feeling I get when I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving.˝

I had a hard time tearing myself away from the city. Three nights were not long enough. I am about to head to bed but first I will organize since we are leaving tomorrow. We fall back tonight so one hour extra sleep! Hooray. I get it two weekends in a row as time will fall back the night I return!

1 comment:

W. Taliaferro said...

There must be a good reason you are not a short story author?