Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Journey to Split: Rain/Wind, Sleet/Snow, Sun

When I was sitting on the waterfront in Opitija, I was looking at the water thinking that it looked like a storm was coming in. After a while, I began to wonder why I was just sitting there waiting knowing something was coming. As I was walking home, it started to sprinkle. By the time I blogged and got ready to go to bed, the sky opened up. It was a windy, rainy night that was kind of peaceful in a weird way.

The journey to Split was quite the whirlwind of weather.

To start out, it was raining very hard, and it was windy. The bus was shaking. We stopped in Sjern for a quick break, and I realized that it did not matter where I was on the Croatian coast. The Adriatic Sea is just so amazing. No matter the city, all you have to do is just sit and enjoy the water. What a peaceful way to spend a few days! I almost got blown away trying to capture the place.

We passed through some mountains on the way to Split. At first, it was kind of cool to see traces of snow along the road. Then I noticed that it was snowing. By the time we hit our next stop, it was snowing! It was pretty and unexpected! And whenever I drive through mountains, I think of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings!

Anyway when we got out of the mountains it was sunny and warm! So it was quite the confusing weather day, which ended beautifully with me taking layers off and being hot.

One of the couples on the trip is celebrating the 50th anniversary of meeting. They said they celebrate that anniversary more than their wedding. They will be married 50 years in August (they got married fast they said). The advice they give young couples is the first 49 years are the hardest.

We stopped in Zadar on the way. I hung out with Sonia, and we had enough time to visit the ruins of the Roman forum and grab some gelato. I may need a gelato intervention when I return. I now remember that Italy is the one vacation I did not lose weight during despite walking for hours each day. The seafront in Zadar was so very amazing. Absolutely beautiful. I could sit for hours with a book or notebook/pen. Stunning! There was also some beautiful buildings with a definite Austria-Hungary empire influence.

We had a group dinner, and there was a local group who performed for us. For the first time ever, I did the chicken dance. I have seen it on TV, but I never had a chance to do it live. It was actually quite fun. The band also played songs like Yesterday and Proud Mary, and it was fun to sing along.

No comments: