Monday, October 3, 2011

Week 40

Luke 10:25-28
King James Version (KJV)
25And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

Matthew 22:36-40
King James Version (KJV)
36Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38This is the first and great commandment.
39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

I find myself looking for elaborate answers, and often than not, the answer is pretty simple. Basically, I tend to complicate simple situations, which probably isn’t unique to me.

I find that when it comes to my walk with God, I complicate that too. But, I think when it comes down to it; it really boils down to love. Love of God, and love of my neighbors. Imagine how much easier relationships would be if love was the order of the day.

My pastor and his wife did a series that was geared towards the singles at my church. One thing they said about marriage is that you have to go in wanting to give to the other person, as opposed to going in wanting/needing your needs to be met.

So, my goal for the rest of the years is act out of love, which is easy to say but hard to implement.

I choose the scriptures above myself to remind myself to go back to basics: Love.

1 comment:

Liza said...

I love the scripture in 1 Corinthians 13 that talks about charity! It really defines, for me, what love is all about. In my personal experience, charity is something that God blesses us with. We can do lots of charitable things, seeking to have charity, but in order to FEEL charity, I think it has to be given to us from God. It's a gift to be able to feel for another that love that He feels for them! I've felt a small bit of it a few times and it is amazing to be able to look at another person and feel so much self-less love for them that you want only what is best for them, regardless of any benefit you may get from your service to them. Pray for charity, I say! I know God will bless you in His own way.