Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hong Kong Chronicles

Yesterday, after I blogged, I headed to the art museum. Two of the galleries were closed for repairs, which was a bummer. Wednesday is free admission day so I couldn’t really grumble over that fact.


In case you don’t know, I favor oil paints and marble sculptures. I am deeply drawn to sculptures of the (male) human form. Amazing that someone can take an empty canvas if you will and create such powerful forms out of it. One of my favorite pieces is an uncompleted work by Michelangelo called The Prisoners. There is just so much strength in the muscles of the men struggling for release. It’s quite powerful and breathtakingly beautiful. There wasn’t much of that at the museum, at least the floors that were opened.


There was a room dedicated to calligraphy, which was interesting. There were also some etchings and lithographs. They also had a lot of artifacts. In fact there was some pottery from the Neolithic Period that was dated from 3600 to 3000 BC, which is quite old. In truth, I don’t always pay attention to artifacts. It’s only when I take the time to think about the people who used them that they become of interest. Unfortunately, they tend to be displayed in ways that I find overwhelming because I can't quite focus on one piece. If I can focus my mind, I appreciate them. I also appreciate them when someone I know in history used them.


One thing that is clear is that humans have been pretty consistent over the years. I was chuckling at the B.C. purses, bracelet, earrings, etc. Women have always adorned themselves with pretty things.


There were also some paintings. Two that stood out were an oil painting of a storm on a river and an oil painting of a Tonka boatwoman. There was also porcelain from different dynasties like Ming, Yuan, etc.


After the museum, I sat and enjoyed the sun before taking a short walk. I was going to Kowloon Park, which I still haven’t gotten to yet when I went to the hotel and read until time to meet Alice. I just wanted to relax. If I accomplish one thing each day, I’m good. LOL!


We took the ferry to other side and met her mom for dinner. Alice's mother likes me a lot because she said I was always happy and smiling. Okay, you can stop laughing now. Alice's mom is very sweet and has only seen me in small doses. I think two or three days at the most when I stayed with them in Vancouver. Her parents live in the mid-level of Hong Kong. Along the way, Alice pointed out the U.S. Embassy, go USA. Hee-hee. We went to this really great vegetarian restaurant. Her parents live in the same area that she grew up in before moving to Vancouver. She pointed out two other places that they had lived.


We went back to the bottom of the hill and took the tram to the peak. It was an amazing view. I loved all the lights looking into the harbor. I’m trying to decide if I will go back during the day. It would have to be timed for the setting of the sun otherwise the pictures will have reflections. Plus, with the pollution, the pictures could end up hazy anyway. We had ice cream and walked around the area that was filled with tourists.


Today, I will head out in a few. I’m still trying to decide what I want to do. I might walk around Kowloon, or I might take the ferry to Hong Kong Island and walk around. Decisions, decisions!


No comments: