Monday, October 17, 2011

Hong Kong Chronicles - Hong Kong or Bust

I am in Hong Kong!

I left my house around 4:40 a.m. Sunday, which meant setting my alarm for 4:00 a.m. I actually woke up around 2:00 a.m. and drifted in and out until it was time to get up.

The trip to San Fran was forgettable. I was tired. I think my layover was around three hours, but I spent it texting, reading, and journaling. The 14-hour flight to Hong Kong felt long, and my butt was hurting (okay TMI). Although I knew the length of the flight, I forgot how it actually felt. The total flight time was 13 hours and 50 minutes. We went over Alaska, Russia, and China. The only other time I flew to Hong Kong was with Desiree on our way to India. Having a companion made it pass by quicker. I read, watched some movies, drifted off to sleep twice, and waited for time to slowly pass by.

When we finally arrived, I went through immigration and customs and waited for my bags. I normally don’t check bags, but I was bringing some stuff for Alice so I had to bring a big suitcase. Then in Seattle they were looking for people to check in their larger carry on. Since I already had a bag checked, I checked mine. I forgot how annoying it is to wait for your bags. Though it was nice not having to lug it around in San Fran and not have to worry about finding space in the overhead bin. Because of Murphy’s Law, my bag is always one of the last bags off. I was a little bitter that they took one of my locks off never to be seen again.

Alice told me to go out Customs Hall B, and I did. I was so happy to see her face in the crowd of people waiting. We took a train and then taxi to the hotel that she lives and works at (actually she works in the hotel down the street but it’s the same hotel family). I got settled. We ate, and she took me on a short walk to point out some landmarks. Now I am getting ready to hit the sack. My body is confused and with a 15-hour difference, who can blame it!

More later.

No comments: