Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Sintra and Cascais



Greetings friends and family,

I spent part of my Lisbon time in Sintra and Cascais, which are both really close to the city. During the drive, there was a mountain that was covered with clouds. I was transferred back to childhood and remembered rushing home from elementary school to watch She-ra, which came on before Robetch, which I also loved. I can still vaguely remember the introduction…“I am Adora. He-Man’s twin sister and defender of the Crystal Castle. This is Spirit, my beloved steed. Fabulous secrets were revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said, ‘For the honor of Grey Skull. I am She-Ra!!! (She-Ra. She-Ra. Princess of Power).’ Only a few others share my secret. Among them are Light Hope, Madame Raz, and Kowl. Together me and my friends of the great rebellion try strive to free Etheria from the evil forces of Hordach.” I no doubt have a few words and spelling wrong, but that has been in my memory bank since I was little! LOL Anyway, I digress but I do remember my She-Ra doll, Spirit horse, and Crystal Castle. Ah childhood.

Sintra was very beautiful. Back when Portugal had a king, it was the town the royal family and aristocracy used to spend the summer. I loved the hilltops and all the lush plant life. I didn’t have much time to explore the streets, but what I saw was nice. There was also a nice church off the main square I was able to visit. Most of my time was spent viewing the former summer palace of the royal family. I was not able to get up to the Moorish castle ruins that was above the city, but I was able to see it from below. It was a cool little town. There is a market (I assume in the high season only) that is the second and fourth Sundays there that is quite popular. It’s an old city that I would nicely describe as slightly worn, and that is a compliment.

The next stop was Caiscas, which is along the Atlantic. It was actually a quite warm day early on. Very nice to stroll the city and the main area. Nothing to do. Just strolling randomly. There was an area that fishermen used. It reminded me of Fishermen’s Terminal. Though I don’t touch that part of the port’s business in my work, it does make me happy to see working waterfronts. They are very important! There is a lot of fresh seafood here. Somewhere near the town is the western most tip of Europe. I got a picture. It reminded me of when Des and I were in Singapore before getting to India and saw the Southernmost tip of Asia.

Speaking of food in general, I think I’ve eaten more this trip than any other. I need to step my walking efforts up!

An observation I have about all of us, including myself, is that we are so attached to our phones and social media (Facebook, e-mail, etc.). My goal when I get home is to put my phone away more and be more present. I will always remember Portugal because I did drop my I-phone, which I was using to keep time, and the screen is shattered. Oh well. Jeez!

Anyway, I was thinking last night what a balance travel is. I think three nights in one place is the sweet spot. You have time to leisurely see everything and perhaps take a side trip. It’s kind of like weighing whether you think you will come back (and the hope is that you will). So do you see as much as you can in a short period of time or do you leisure in one spot? Perhaps a combination of the two.

Oh and I am weirdly craving fresh popcorn.

No comments: