Saturday, October 24, 2015

All in a days journey



Yesterday, I went to the city of Cadiz, which was a port city. I love rich maritime history, probably because I work for a port authority and am hyper aware of the importance of international trade and dare I saw free/fair trade! Through the ages, men have traded, and when it comes down to it, we are all the same in our humanity. Despite our differences in cultures and habits. The world is global, and we either survive or die together.

So I saw some cotton fields on the way there as well as sheep and storks with their nests. I even saw a baby stork in its nest.There are actually a lot of stork nests here and there.

In Cadiz saw a ruin of an old Roman theater that was built around one hundred BC. It’s cool to imagine the masses (I think it sat 10K) there. Though I imagine most of the plays would have needed to be done at night because it gets so hot in southern Spain (triple digits). Also went to this lookout point with a good view of the cathedral, which was the first thing I saw.

There is also an old fortress/castle. The city streets are so narrow. Oh and the city is on the Atlantic coast so there are beaches and there were swimmers. Luckily no men in speedos assaulted my poor eyes.

I went to the distillery of Sandeman. I think they make vinegar, wine, and sherry. It might be wine, sherry, and cognac. I was able to try some grape juice made from their grapes. The grape juice from Purple Cafe is a lot better.

Also went to this olive oil production house. It was actually pretty good. I had this orange olive oil that was perfect for salad. And for dessert, ice cream with vanilla olive oil on top. It was yummy (I was like say what?)! It reminded me of cake.

I went to this flamenco place in Seville last night. I wasn’t really feeling it, so I left and walked back over the Triana Bridge and walked around that neighborhood. I also sat in the same square as last night. Since it was Friday night, it was overflowing with people. There were families, friends, dates, singles, basically everybody out enjoying a nice night. Flamenco is more cultural, but nothing beats sitting among the locals.

I was able to journal one of those burn after writing/reading mind dumps. Thoughts I had been suppressing came to the surface. This is good or bad. But the thing about writing is that the truth has a way of surfacing. I can suppress/control my thoughts sometimes. But when I sit down and write, thoughts I try to hide from myself surface. Good and bad. But you know the truth comes out eventually.

And the bottom line is if something needs to be changed, change it. Otherwise, you (I) are part of the problem. Nothing like being uncomfortable to force decisions.

1 comment:

Margo said...

You are an inspiration, my friend.