Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Fatima/Salamanca



Greetings family and friends,

Currently in route back to Madrid where I will spend the last three nights of this trip. Tonight will be spent in Salamanca. Stopped in Fatima on the way, which is a pilgrimage site, so I continue my life as a closet Catholic. LOL! The atmosphere reminded me of outside of Krakow where I saw the “Black Madonna.”

The history of Fatima is as follows. On May 13, 1917, three children where tending sheep when Mary, mother of Christ, appeared unto them. It was during WWI, and she brought three messages. One that peace was coming. Two that Russia would reject God, communist would grow, and a second war would happen. Three that an attempt would be made on the life of on a pope (Fast forward to May 13, 1981, when Pope John Paul II was shot). So in 1917, she appeared to the children on the 13th day for five months. The children were questioned as word spread. Then on October 13, 70,000 people were gathered in the spot, and a downpour came. Suddenly the sun appeared and danced around the sky and plunged to the earth. When the people came through, the sun was shining, and it was dry.

In 1930, the Vatican recognized the events as true. People walk there for a pilgrimage. With the 100th-year anniversary coming, a big celebration is expected. The Basilica of Our Lady of Fatima was closed for construction, which may be part of the preparations. There is a place for lighting candles. And the Chapel of Apparitions where Mary appeared. There are services that go on throughout the day in different languages. I caught part of one of them. There is also the Church of the Holy Trinity, which Pope John Paul II started with a stone from St. Peter’s tomb at the Vatican. 11:00 mass was just starting there as I was leaving.

Salamanca is a cool town with a nice vibe. Spain’s oldest university is here. There are students everywhere, so it’s very youthful. The main square, Plaza Mayor, was having a used book fair. Too bad I can’t read Spanish. I also saw the old and new cathedral, which were closed unfortunately. The university buildings were nice. It’s a time when a photography class would have come in handy. I would like to be able to capture the entire building in one shot. Especially with trees or lines getting in the way. There has to be a technique.

There is this building here that has a frog hidden on it. If you find it, you are supposed to have good luck. I didn’t see it. It could have been a good time kiss a frog to meet Prince Charming. Does not seeing the frog mean another seven years of bad luck? LOL!

Tomorrow off to Madrid! The final leg of the journey!

1 comment:

Tacoma Candy said...

Sounds festinating...I didn't know you went to Poland!? One of my bestie's is from there, and she's always trying to get me to go over there! In fact, she brought me back my wooden carving/painting (Black Madonna) and coffee table book on Poland. Bucket list! enjoy!