Friday, August 21, 2009

Scotland Day Three

I was very sad to leave Wales, but so excited to start the next chapter. This vacation is rolling by too fast!

I took the train from Wales to Scotland. Once I hit Edinburgh, I was ready to roll. The guidebook had great directions on how to get to my B&B. BUT the stop is closed due to construction of their tram. Since I couldn't find an alternative bus stop, I took a taxi AKA plans B and C. LOL.

My first night was cool. I hit the Royal Mile. Due to the many film festivals, the city is packed. My host said the population doubles during the film festivals. The Royal Mile was packed and there were many acts doing routines. And people were everywhere. I went to St. Giles Church and I also ended up walking to the Palace and the Parliament building. I met a woman named Elaine and we hung out for a minute. I think she is lonely. Her husband left her for a friend and she remarked that her life as she knew it was taken from her. That hit me in a hard way. She also mentioned a couple she know who both ended up getting cancer. THEN they decided to see the world. She told me to do what I can now...not wait until something major happens. I'm getting quite a lot of sage advice.

Yesterday was a whirlwind. I went to the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the National Museum, the Edinburgh Castle, the National Gallery and the Georgian House. I am tired writing all this. Why the rush you might ask? Today I went to Stirling to see the Castle there, the William Wallace Monument, and the Bannockburn Heritage Center. The Stirling side trip was not part of the original plan so I had to cram Edinburgh in. Tomorrow I go on a tour of the highlands. I plan on going to St. Andrews on Sunday. We will see. I have to remember I am on vacation and I need to get some rest.

I am finding the history of the Scots very interesting. I know more English history so I am getting a different view. I plan on studying Robert de (the) Bruce and Mary of Guise more when I return. You should know by now that I am a total Elizabeth I fan, but I am getting curious about Mary Queen of Scots which almost sounds sacrilege.

I have seen where she grew up, the room she had James VI of Scotland/ I of England, the place of her coronation so quite a lot.

I am also hearing grumblings of independence. The Scots are ready for independence from England. Interesting times.

I saw their crowns jewels which are older than England's because England's were destroyed by Cromwell. He was not able to get to the Scots though he tried.

I remember that I love marble and oil paintings, which is why I like the gallery better than the museum.

Oh, and in Stirling the City Sightseeing bus that was listed as a way to get to the three points of interest was ended at the beginning of the year. Again, on to plan b. I made it.

It's great to see so much, and I have a lot more to learn about the history of Scotland. My only regrets are not coming sooner and not having more time.

Oh if only time and money were not an issue!

XOXO

No comments: