Monday, August 31, 2009

Dingle

I forgot to mention that in Dublin, we took a taxi ride with John F. Kennedy. Make that John Francis Kennedy. Oh, and Derek is from Dublin in Cobn for a fishing trip. Actually, we met quite a lot of people from Dublin in Cobn either on holiday themselves or visiting families.

So, Saturday we really took it easy. We walked around and visited St. Colman's Cathedral. I have been to many churches (St. Peter's, St. Mark's, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's, Notre Dame, etc.) and I tell you that this was the most beautiful church I have ever seen. It was so ornate, elegant, and peaceful.

Along the walk, we came across this dog who started digging in the ground like he was going to make a running start and start charging us. He was a strange mixture, and we decided to retreat and go the other way. Well, we were walking down the next street and Kujo came trotting around the corner wagging his tail. He trotted around this other corner, and we were rolling because he was letting us know we were on his turf. Did I mention his owners had him muzzled. I think there is a reason for that!

Saturday night Pam and I headed out looking for me new friend, who I didn't see. BUT we did meet Kevin (aka Stacy), Eamon, Paul (I met my Dublin cop), Hugh and a host of other friendly, nice Irish men. The key is sitting at the bar and everyone becomes your friend. It was very nice and fun.

Yesterday we got up and headed to Dingle. It was pouring rain by the time we checked in. We had a scary moment where our B&B looked like the Bate's Motel but luckily that wasn't it. Candy and Pam were looking at me like they wanted to hurt me since I booked Dingle and Galway accommodations. I believe Candy said this does not look like a place Rick (Steves) would select.

We went for a short walk and Candy and Pam went home, and I stayed out to get soaked for another 45 minutes or so.

Then this morning we woke up to decent weather. We went on this tour of the Dingle Peninsula led by Tim Collins who is a retired police officer. It was so very interesting. We saw this 7th or 8th century early Christian Church called Gallarus Oratory along with some Celtic/Christian monuments. The peninsula itself is very pretty. Cliffs and crashing waves and green pastures. They have plants like wild iris, bamboo, palm trees, and fuchsia from Africa, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, Asia and a host of other places. When rich people traveled, they would bring back plants and introduce them to the region. The fuchsia here is referred to Tears of God. It also happens to be the most western part of Europe. The next parish over is Boston, or so the locals says. Factual the next place over is Newfoundland. We also saw a tribute to the Spanish Armada ships that crashed there in 1558.

We then strolled along the harbor and got a picture of the statue of Fungie.

Did I mention I liked Ireland quite a bit! It is quite lovely and you know people for the most part are open and friendly. They have had a very wet August, wetter than normal.

Pam and I went to visit this windows designed by Henry Clark. They go over key moments of Jesus' ministry such as The Visit of the Magi, The Baptism of Jesus, Let the little children come to me, The Sermon on the Mount, The Agony in the Garden, and Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene. There was also a bat in the window. When we visited St. Mary's we also saw two other bats. We think they are between the windows panes. They are very small.


One of the roads we rode along is called The Long Road. I knew there was something special awaiting me in Ireland. It's almost like an awakening and now I am in the position to accept it. Something inside of me has been laying dormant for so long and now it's like I feel myself yawningly stretching out.

It's all very good. I'm just so sad that it's winding down. Tomorrow we head to Galway. I come home on Friday, ready or not.

Take It Easy.

No comments: