Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dublin

I LOVE Dublin!

Yesterday morning, I got up early to catch a 7:30 bus to Dublin. As I mentioned before, the train tracks are having issues. I decided on 7:30 because it would give me a chance to meet to Candy and Pam at the Patton Flyer bus to Dun Laoghaire (pronounced Dun Leery).

So I got there a little after ten and had to wait for the 11 o clock bus, which is the bus Candy and Pam should have made as their flight got in a little after ten. So about a quarter to eleven I look up and I saw Pam then I saw Candy. This is actually my first time meeting Pam, but I recognized her from a picture. I was so happy because that is how I wanted us to start our trip.

So we caught the bus to DL. Of course Candy and Pam were dead tired but we did head to Dublin. We accidently did one of the walks Rick Steves recommends in his guidebook along O'Connell Street. We also walked around the Temple Bar area. Then Pam and Candy headed back to the B&B because they were tired. I stayed and did some wandering. By the time, night began to fall, I did not want to leave but leave I must.

So I just started to walk. I hit the Dublin Castle. I did not go in because I have been in plenty of Castles but I did want to get a picture of statue of justice that is in the courtyard. The Dublin Castle was were the English ruled Ireland for 700 years. It was here that in 1922 that the British handed power back over to the Irish.

I also wandered over to Christ Church Cathedral and St. Patrick's Cathedral. Both are impressive buildings and Church of Ireland which is intereting in Catholic Ireland.

I then wandered around Grafton Street which is Dublin's pedestrian shopping mall. I managed to get a picture of the tart with the cart for the record books. I quite accidently ran into this beatiful park called St. Stephen's Green Park. I sat in there for awhile because it was so beatiful and peaceful. It's 22 acres.

I then headed to walk along the Liffey River. I love to be near water. So I met this guy named Michael. He is Nigerian and has been in Scotland for eight years. He says he wants to marry me, but I think it's a little too soon. LOL. I know he wants to come to America but jeez!

He did encourage me to pray to God for whatever I wanted and told me to pray to God to go before me where ever I go. He said that God hears and answers our prayers. I totally accept the sage advice on prayer. I do, and I will. LOL.

I headed back to the B&B, and we went to dinner. We went to this very cool Irish Bar and another Michael took great care of us. We wanted to get a picture with him so he took us around the bar an there is a picture of us pouring some Guinness. It's on Candy's camera, but I am sure it will become a favorite picture of mine.

So today, we are going to Trinity College and to see the Book of Kells and we will also go to to Kilmainham Gaol. Then we will see whatever else we get into. There are some pretty cool walking tours so perhaps we will do one of those.

There were some other stuff on interest like the National Museum and Number 29 Georgian House but both are similiar to things I did in Wales and Scotland. We will see what the ladies say.

Tomorrow we head off to Cobn. It should be a great time to get some R&R.

No comments: