Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Locking: Week Four (Almost) & Heralding Bus Adventures

Today, I had my third hair appointment. It’s actually not quite four weeks, but her schedule is pretty booked up. I’ve been taking time off from work because I’m pretty much getting in where I fit in.

I left work at 10:45 to catch the 11:10 bus. The bus comes at 11:15, and was I bothered. I like to be on time to appointments. It shows respect for the person’s time.

The bus takes forever to make it down Third Avenue. By the time we reach fourth and Yesler, I’m beginning to seethe. At this point in time, a very angry man gets on the bus and yells at the driver for being so late. He continued talking very loudly about it while he was on the bus. When he got off, he yelled some more. Meanwhile, a slow bus ride is compounded by elderly, slow moving passengers and the lift being used three times. I was screaming my rage very loudly in my head. By the time I reached my appointment, I was only three minutes late. I then waited 30 minutes to be washed. Go figure.

It did get me thinking. Is it better to internally control emotions or is better to rage out loud? Not sure. The rage of the man of the bus was so alive.

After the appointment, I high tailed it to 12th and Jackson (from 20th and Yesler). I didn’t see the number 1 so I decided to walk to 5th and Jackson to catch the 99. Of course, the number 1 goes rolling by me when I’m halfway there. Then I see the 99 come around the corner. I missed both. I decided it would be quicker for me to walk than wait for the next bus. So 25 minutes later, I made it to work.

I had blocked an extra hour of “buffer” time. A coworker booked a meeting with me even though the time was clearly booked. I did not accept it. I barely made it in time for my three o’clock meeting, which ended up being rescheduled. Sigh!

All of this for my hair. Jeez. So, my hair has not “budded.” The original plan was six weeks get the “real” wash. Now, it will be eight weeks. After which time, I will go every month.

1 comment:

Liza said...

This bus story reminds me of my anxiety over slow drivers who end up getting right in front of me when I'm in a hurry. It used to really bother me, but then one day I decided that all things are for my good and perhaps God has sent an "angel" to drive slowly in front of me to keep me from speeding along and get in a wreck! It has truly changed my perspective and now when a slow driver gets in front of me, I say a prayer of thanks for not getting into a wreck. It's all in the perspective you chose to take. Like you, when I'm chomping at the bit to get somewhere and annoyed that I'm being delayed I often find that being late didn't affect anything in the end. (Like still having to wait half an hour to get into your appt.)