Sunday, February 28, 2010

Kyrie Eleison

There is a song titled “The High Place” that has been in my head for quite some time. The part that keeps running and running through my head is the line that says, “And the high places I’ll bring down.” When I pray, I pray against the high places that I have set up in my own life and the strongholds I have allowed to take root in my spirit. I also pray for the lives of my friends and my family.

Kyrie Eleison, which is Greek for “Lord have mercy,” is a phrase that I have began using in my prayers. The Bible talks about sowing with the wind and reaping with the whirlwind. I sometimes hear people comment that an event happening in someone’s life was just karma or them reaping what they have sown.

This could be true, but a part of me is very careful not to make those types of judgmental observations. There are things I will have to reap and I pray that the Lord will have mercy on me. It’s like the concept of grace and mercy become foreign when we are dealing with other people’s lives.

So today, my thoughts are pretty simple. I pray the God will have mercy on all of us and that we will allow Him to take the High Places down.

I also pray for marriages. I am very saddened by what I see and what I hear.

At the beginning of the year, I thought this would be a good year to meet Prince Charming and settle down into Happily Ever After. Since then (and it’s only been two months), a lot has happened around me. I am trying to not become jaded or cynical by what I see and hear.

In fact, I wake up in the middle of the night praying for the marriages of my friends and family. I must have been sleep when the memo came out that marriages were under attack, but I am up now!

I haven’t given up on the idea of marriage, and I know that I can’t avoid it for myself based on bad things that could happen. I can say that I am happy, and if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.

No comments: