Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Week 29

Proverbs 4:23-27

KJV
“Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee. Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee. Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established. Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.”

New Living Translation
“Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Avoid all perverse talk; stay away from corrupt speech. Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. Mark out a straight path for your feet; stay on the safe path. Don’t get sidetracked; keep your feet from following evil.”

I have concluded that God’s message to me is to be silent and pray. Part of the reason is because I am trying to meditate on what is good. It just seems like it is human nature to meditate on what is “bad.”

I choose the verses in Proverbs because the intent of the selection brings one word to mind. That word is focus.

As you may know, I usher at my church. This requires a lot of focus. When I was learning the basics of being an usher, a minister at my church instilled in us that we were watchmen. My effectiveness as an usher is parallel with my ability to monitor the sanctuary and respond to the needs of the people. It can be as simple as getting someone a fan or Kleenex. But, the bottom line is that I have to constantly watch the church, and react to what I see.

The current concern or heaviness in my heart is interesting. However, I feel that if I keep my integrity and honesty, then I have nothing to really worry about. Sure, the attacks may come, however I believe the truth always come out. It is one of those times when I need to learn to cast my cares on God and watch Him take care of me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I especially like this one. It appears in times like these we are so easily distracted, get overly concerned about things that weigh us down that we can't concentrate on the main things! It is so important that we stay focused, watchful and vigilant on what we have been called to do!! As well as keep our heart,mind and spirit clean before the Lord!