Friday, July 1, 2011

July 1, 2011, PCC Scroll Editor's Corner

This is the article from the July 1, 2011, issue of my church newsletter. It's the editor's corner that I write.

Title: God Will Perfect It

There has been a lot of death in the last several months.

On May 1, the pastor of the church I attended when I was a child passed away. I was able to reconnect with him and his wife a few years ago and thank them for all they did for me and my sisters when we were growing up. On May 14, my grandmother on my dad’s side passed away. Although I didn’t know her that well, it was sad to hear of her passing. She was my last grandparent. On June 7, the aunt of one of my close friends passed away. I spent 2.5 weeks with her during my trip to India. She was such a strong woman, a historian, and a story teller. She and the other ladies I stayed with found a sacred place in my heart.

June 3 was the one-year anniversary of the passing of my aunt that raised me. As the day grew closer, I felt the same raw emotion arise in me that I feel each year at the anniversary of my sister’s death. My subconscious becomes sad and tender, and then the date hits me like a ton of bricks. I remember all the things I didn’t say and all the things I didn’t do with a deep regret, but I can’t change the past.

Death brings about questions and thoughts about my own mortality. What will I accomplish before my appointed time in this life ends? There are things I want to do. There is the ever-growing list of places I want to travel to. I also want to write a novel. But, what do I need to accomplish that is for God that will last. What is my legacy? What is my assignment? What is my function in the body of Christ?

I am inspired by the accomplishments of my friends. My friend Toyia completed her Master’s and is working towards establishing a school in the Seattle area. My friend Samarah is holding a summer program for women of color in the L.A. area that is focused on college preparation and entrepreneurial training. As their dreams begin to unfold and take shape, I am motivated to fulfill my own destiny.

I am drawn to Psalm 138:8, which reads, “The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.”

I am so glad that God has not forgotten His desire for any of us. He has given each of us another day to fulfill our destiny and calling in Him. God will bring us to a place where we can achieve what He desires of us. There is an appointed time, and it will come to pass!

I am so looking forward to being inspired by YOUR accomplishments. I will leave you with Philippians 1:6, which says, “Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.”

No comments: