Monday, April 25, 2011

Week 17

Galatians 7 – 10
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

I suppose things are going a little better. I believe I am tired of fighting myself. What I’m not sure of is whether this is a positive or negative statement.

I’m at the point where I want to go home and start diagramming a course of action. At the beginning of the year, I came up with some goals for the year. I need to put things on paper in black and white, and get my plan together.

Verse 9 of this scripture has always intrigued in. During my more immature period, I thought of God as a God of crime and punishment. As I write this, I know how ridiculous it sounds. Earlier in my walk, I would feel like I would do what I knew was right to do but then one sin or transgression would cause the wrath of heaven to rain down on me. This of course is not true. God has certainly shown me grace and mercy throughout the years. I am the one who knows all the deep, dark secrets and was there for the deep, dark deeds. Okay, that was dramatic, but you get my point.

What I realize is that I have the opportunity to do good each day. A good example is just smiling and saying hello to my neighbors each morning as I walk to the bus stop or wait for the bus. I will admit there have been a few moments where I have returned a smile from my neighbor with a blank who are you look. Not one of my finer moments, but the truth is the truth.

So, maybe I don’t need to go home and draw pictures and diagrams and outline a twelve step program. I grow tired of making lists that I don’t fulfill because they are not realistic. Maybe I need to start small like fining words to encourage and edify other people.

Lord, please help me to get over myself! Lord, please help me to decrease of myself, wants, dreams as I turn my ear to your plans and assignments for me.

1 comment:

Liza said...

I once got a bookmark that I loved from a friend. It had the title, "Just For Today" and below the title, it had a list of options of things to do or be "just for today". The idea is to pick something that you can focus on for the day and not feel you have to do it perfectly or forever. Mentally, that idea frees me to stick to something for a short period of time and not get discouraged because I don't do it perfectly, forever. Being a recovering perfectionist, I can fall into the trap of needing to be perfect and beating myself up if I don't live up to my unrealistic standard. Sometimes it's good to permit myself to do things only half as good or for a short time. Then I don't get so overwhelmed! Do you think you are asking too much, too quickly of yourself?