Friday, April 1, 2011

Volume X, Issue II - Editor's Corner

This is the article I wrote for my church’s quarterly newsletter. It will be published April 3. My standing section is called "Editor's Corner." I called this submission "Judgment and Mercy." This newsletter makes Issue II of our tenth year!

Back in February 2010, I wrote about two things in my blog. One concerned the song “The High Place,” because it would not leave my mind. The part that kept running and running through my head was the line that says, “And the high places I’ll bring down.” When I prayed, I prayed against any high places that had been set up in my life and any strongholds I had allowed to take root in my spirit. I prayed against the sin in my life.

Around the same time, I began using the phrase Kyrie Eleison, which is Greek for “Lord have mercy,” in my prayers. The Bible talks about sowing with the wind and reaping with the whirlwind. I was very aware of things I had sown that I would have to reap one day. I prayed that the Lord would have mercy on me. It was around this time that the concepts of high places falling and God’s mercy fused together in my mind.

Here we are over a year later and things have a way of coming full circle. But, first let us go back to the end of 2009. Pastor asked us to fast once a week in 2010. On a side note, I am happy to say that I did it. I wasn’t sure I was going to make it. It’s amazing how donuts, sandwiches, candy, and other treats miraculously appeared most of my fast days.

For 2011, the fast day has continued as a day of consecration. With the fast day comes intentional prayer and a devotional. During the prayer time, there have been moments I couldn’t even get out what I was trying to say. I believe that God knew what I was trying to say even if I couldn’t get it out right. One of the many things I appreciate about God is that He knows my heart even when I can’t get the words out.

I can’t think of the word to describe how my life has been since I began my day of devotion. Things have been sort of weird. On one hand, it seems like a constant battle has been raging. There is a part of me that is tired of the fight and wishes things would come easier and go smoother. It makes me wish the current season would pass. On the other hand, I am pretty laid back about the chaos and take it in stride. I desire to be in a new place where I can be a person who walks in God’s love with nothing separating me from Him, especially any spiritual high places.

Today my thoughts are pretty simple. I pray that God will have mercy on all of us. I pray for mercy in the face of God’s judgment and that we will allow Him to take the high places down.

No comments: