Monday, January 31, 2011

Week 5

Philippians 4:8: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Philippians 4:8 is my daily devotional. If I could keep this scripture as my mantra (along with 1 Peter 4:8) in my daily walk, things could go a lot smoother.

Unfortunately, it seems to be human nature to do the exact opposite.

There are so many negative messages and intent in our society, which is extremely sad. I find it odd when people take delight in the misfortune, hurt, and pain of others. It causes a part of me to retreat deeper into my own mind and world.

I’ve been thinking about Lent, and perhaps a good exercise for me during Lent would be to pray the Philippians and 1 Peter scriptures daily. I would like for them to seep into my subconscious and become the beat I walk to.

It is a challenge to think on the good things when people are so intent on spreading chaos. I am at the point where I feel like I am supposed to keep to myself and my own council. However, I firmly believe that we were meant to walk in community as a body of Christ. So, it’s a matter of being selective of who I walk with.

Today has been a little difficult to me. I should not find it strange that I am being challenged. I keep reminding myself I have to fight. It’s hard to love people sometimes, but I know what love can do.

My prayer today is simple. God, help me to remember to focus on what is good. Help me to turn my ear when people spew negative comments. As the scripture says, let the words of my mouth and meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight!

1 comment:

Liza said...

I love this scripture, too! It's a kind of measuring stick to help me decide if something is good for me or not. It's never easy to live in a world with so much that is wicked, especially if you are making a concentrated effort to change for the better. Some scriptures that have helped me are ones that use the word "peculiar". (http://lds.org/scriptures/search?lang=eng&query=peculiar) Peculiar means "one’s very own, exclusive, or special" or "being the Lord’s own special people or treasure". Repeatedly, God has told his people to be separate from the wicked, to be obedient regardless of the wicked people around them. We are meant to be "peculiar". For me, that means I need to put spiritual blinders on, meaning, I filter out the bad from my life, focus on letting in the good. That is easy when it comes to choosing a movie or a book, but people are not so easy. We want to reach out to them and help them, be a good example for them. However, I have learned that some people want to stay where they are, and they will drag me down if they can. Many of them are not even aware that that is what they do, but it is still true! I like to picture it like a mud pit. Whether by circumstance or by choice, some people are stuck in a mud pit. Many are calling out for a hand up and it is fine for me to reach out to them and help or give encouragement. Others, though they sound like they want help, are only luring me in so they can grab me and suck me in with them. They like wallowing in their mess! That type of person, I have to stay clear of! I can shout out encouragement, but it has to be from a greater distance in order for me to stay safe. Everyone has their freedom to choose, and some choose wickedness and misery. I can't make them choose happiness. I can only choose for myself. Hard as it may be, I have to leave them to make their own choices.

I am going through a similar situation with my mother right now. I've been through a fair amount of therapy, gotten healthier, made changes in my life, but my mother has not. She is still the same as she has always been. She still likes to play these sick emotional games and I just can't get sucked into them anymore! So, I have to set up boundaries to keep myself safe, not let her in so much. Of course, she doesn't understand that, takes offense, gets meaner. It makes me sad, but she is choosing to stay in the pit! I can continue to be available for positive interaction, but I have to set limits or else she will suck me in to her misery. It's been difficult to stick to, but also a relief. It's a big relief to give myself permission to choose happiness instead of misery, to allow myself to feel joy instead of dread, to feel my feelings instead of worrying about how my feelings will upset someone else!