Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Week 1

In the year 2010, my pastor asked us to fast once a week. During the fourth week of each month, he requested we fast in unity on Wednesday. On non-unity fast weeks, I fasted on Monday. I am happy to say, I fasted each week in 2010. This is quite the accomplishment for me as I wasn’t sure I was going to make it. Amazing how donuts, sandwiches, candy, and other treats miraculously appeared most of my fast days.

For 2011, the once a week fast request has continued. This year he has asked for a day of consecration. So with the fast day, comes intentionally prayer and devotional.

Yesterday was my week one fast day. For my devotional, I studied 1 Peter 4:1-6.

1 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. 2 As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4 They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you. 5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

For me, verses two and three stood out. Imagine my life if I focused on fulfilling the Will of God in my life. Verse three is so true in that I have spent enough time doing what I want to do. When do I truly give my life over to God in all things?

As I fast, pray, and have my weekly devotion, my goal is to write out what I studied and my thoughts behind it. Each week will be different as the length of scripture may be different. I might even study a body of scripture for a few weeks.

As I was praying, I was thinking about an old friend of mine who wanted to tithe 10% of her day to God. She wanted to spend 2.4 hours a day in prayer and scripture reading. I was telling God that I don’t see myself reaching that level, but I do want to make my time with Him count. I am looking for quality time with God, vs. quantity time.

1 comment:

Liza said...

That's amazing that you fasted every week! At our church, we fast once a month for 24 hours, but we are also supposed to pray with a purpose during that time. If we have any special needs or know of someone who needs our prayers, we pray about that during the fast. The saying for us goes, "Fasting without prayer is just starving." We also give the money we would have spent on food to the church and the church uses those fast offerings to help the poor in our church. So fasting is like a voluntary sacrifice to help others. That might be something to consider when you fast!