Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Week 4

I love words. In the last month, I’ve heard the following prayer of St. Augustine’s a few times, “Grant me chastity and continence, but not yet.” I also heard a quote by Pope Gregory VII, “I have loved justice and hated iniquity: therefore I die in exile.” I like them both for different reasons. In my mind, there is a place where these quotes meet.

I can totally understand what Augustine is saying and why he is saying it. There are things I want from God and things I know I should do for God, but based on limitations from my thorn of humanity, I whisper not yet! I like Pope Gregory because I understand how lonely it can feel to do what is right.

In thinking of this, I used Romans 7:16-21 as my devotional. I wasn’t sure if it was a good choice because it’s one of the most confusing texts in the Bible. I get what he is saying, but he says it in a very strange, round about manner.

16If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

My prayer is that I always remember that sin can easily befall me. In the right temptation, situation, circumstance, opportunity, etc., I could easily go astray. As I continued praying, I asked God to help me choose good when faced with evil. The truth is there are times when I might not want to do the right thing. I could easily make a mistake and sin.

My thoughts turned to my cousin Brett, who drowned in 1999. He would have turned 31 yesterday (24th). My aunt’s birthday was the 2nd. Strange. During Thanksgiving and Christmas, I thought about my aunt quite a bit. One thing I have always admired about my aunt is she was a very giving person. During the holidays, I remember she always made tons of extra foods and desserts. She would send plates, cakes, and pies to people who were not mobile or didn’t have someone to cook for them.

No comments: