Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"Love covers a multitude of sins"

When you love someone, you are able to listen without judgment. What do I mean by this? I mean that despite what you learn about someone, when a person makes themselves vulnerable by sharing the not so positive parts of themselves, you are still able to look at them with rose-colored glasses. It doesn’t mean you don’t offer true and wise counsel if needed. It does mean that don’t you view the person any differently.

It was a glimpse into the way God loves me. Despite what He knows about me – things that might cause many folks to raise their eyebrows – He still loves me unconditionally. Yes, He wants me strive to be the best I can be, but He also is okay when I occasionally mess up.

Love is such an overused word. People use it too lightly. In Greek, there are four different words/types of love. They are Phileo, Storge, Eros, and Agape. Phileo is used to describe love in friendship. Storge is love between family like between parents and children. Eros describes sensual love. Agape is the love that is unconditional and sacrificial.

All these (warm and fuzzy) thoughts about love got me thinking about 1 Peter 4:8, which in the NIV reads, “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.”

As 2011 begins, I am going to attempt to keep this verse close to my heart. I hope the reminder will help me be a better neighbor, friend, colleague, and person.

No comments: