Thursday, June 10, 2010

If it had not been for the Lord who was on my side...

There are certain situations in my life that make me realize that God has had His hand on me from day one. My belief in God and His love for me are so wrapped in the positive outcomes of these situations.

One of these situations is the fact that I used to date a guy who was HIV+. Yes, that could have been made out there...

To make a long story short, the person "confessed" the truth of his status to me at a party on the Base. This was a few weeks before I left to attend college. This realization haunted me for a few years. I was so terrified to get tested. It was more than a relief when the test results came back!

Anyway, I had long since wondered what happened to some of the other girls who I knew he had been involved with him. A few have sadly died. It is to be expected. Others statuses are unknown. Others seem to have miraculously emerged unscathed. Two children born virus free.

I had a chance to talk to his uncle about the past. The fact that he and I used to write before we had a falling out, which caused him to write me, cuss me out, and tell me he wished he had given me the disease. Complete with a letter from him a year or so later after my sister dying apologizing and reaching out to me, which I ignored. This is a regret. I should have reached back. He needed someone.

Anyway, I have held on to this and my feelings overall and it was nice to talk about him with someone else who cared for him.

Yes, he did some things that were definitely wrong. It is wrong to knowingly infect with someone with a disease that will kill them. No word can justify it, but my believe in the redemption of people - regardless of their sin is so great.

If one person is not worthy, then I, with my sins known and unknown, is not worthy either.

No comments: