Friday, January 22, 2010

Locking: Week Two

Today marks two weeks since I started the locking process.

Locking my hair is something I have been contemplating for years now. I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to commit to it.

At the beginning of the year, I decided I was going to just do it. My main problem is that I analyze decisions for so long that I end up thinking myself out of decisions. So, I knew I had to act fast.

I called the shop, Good Hair, and I called to make a consultation appointment. This was January 7. I was told that the next consultation appointment opening was January 22, which just happens to be today. I was also told that someone has just canceled for tomorrow (January 8), which was an appointment for getting the hair locked.

I initially made the appointment for January 22. After speaking to my friend Candy, I decided to just jump in with my clothes on. I called and changed appointments.

The first thing I learned was that I would not be able to wash my hair for six weeks. I was like, what?! Black hair is naturally dry, so we have to add moisture to it. Washing our hair too much strips it of its natural oil. I basically wash my hair every three to four days. When I had my hair straight and was going to the salon, it was washed every two weeks. Still, six weeks was a long time.

I’m glad to say, I have made my first two weeks! I actually received a dry wash, which is basically a wash without water and with astringent. I have been using astringent on my scalp to keep it clean. I need the help of my friends for that because I can’t do the back of my hair.

So here are some updated photos.

Next steps:
In two weeks, I go in and have maintenance. Some water but no scrubbing.
In two weeks after that, an actual wash with scrubbing. I can’t wait!

Oh, and I decided to not get a new car. I’m trying to separate wants from needs. I don’t drive all that much and my current car is in great shape!





No comments: