Thursday, June 25, 2009

Yesterday's News

We are able to watch peoples’ lives fall apart.

The media is on steroids with the Internet. No matter what happened, no matter where it happened, it could turn into today’s news. Eventually, it turns into yesterday’s news but not before a person’s life is torn apart by public opinion, intrusion on their family, and every stone of their past turned over and dissected for the whole world to see.

I am not sure what gives the media the right to call someone repeatedly and then say calls where not answered or returned. Or to go to their door and then say the door wasn’t opened or the person who answered refused to comment.

But in a week or a month the media and public will have moved on to another topic. But the person’s life will be damaged and uncovered in such a way that it’s painful to put back together.

The media drives me crazy.

For example, when a person in the public’s eye dies, the media is there like a virus. If your mom, dad, brother, sister, or friend died how would you feel? So to ask a person how they feel is quite dumb in my opinion. Grief is an emotion we all understand and feel at some point in our lives.

I’m not quite getting this out the way I want to, but I feel really strong about it.

Yes, people choose to be in the public eye but even they need to have some privacy.

I think of the sins of my past, present, and future. I would not want them exposed in a way that would injure those closest to me.

I think sin is sin. I don’t believe one sin is greater but society seems to. I also don’t think anyone is beyond repentance. I mean anyone. Someone once asked, well what about Saddam Hussein. In my opinion, Saddam Hussein was not beyond repentance. If one person is beyond repentance then guess what, that means none of us are. And believe me some of what I have done is not pretty. And who knows what I am capable of doing given the chance, temptation, and opportunity.

I am particular offended when people who don’t go to church or believe in God act like those of us who do are supposed to be miraculous perfect. I wish. I can go over a number of stuff I’ve done post salvation that would send tongues wagging and make people say, oh well she is a hypocrite or she is not saved.

When what it boils down to is that I am human and will make mistakes. This does not justify me going out and purposefully committing any sin against God. But it does say hey I make mistakes and will continue to make mistake because that is part of the journey.

I began thinking about this when the story came out about the governor from South Carolina.

No comments: