Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Journey of Kindness

A few days ago, I had to talk myself out of bed. Getting out of bed led to what I will refer to as a series of unfortunate events, which almost led to a breakdown. By the time I was leaving my house, I was convinced I should have stayed in bed. Nevertheless, I pressed on. I got on a crowded bus, and I sat down. A woman across from me gave me a tentative smile, and I gave her what I hope was a blank look. Hopefully it was not a death glare. For some reason, I just wouldn’t/didn’t smile back.

Once I arrived at work, I went through what I will refer to as a series of fortunate events. It culminated with me remembering the signature I put on my hotmail account. It simply says, “Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.” Immediately, I thought about the woman on the bus who smiled at me. The only thing it would have cost me to smile back at her was me getting over myself, my mood, and my woe is me attitude of that day.

It was actually a shame and not one of my finer moments.

I few years ago, a woman came to my church and spoke. During the service, she said to the usher in the back (me) that God wanted me to go a journey of extra kindness. She said that my kindness to others would unlock doors for me. She went on to tell me to do what God is promoting in me and for me to walk alone with God. She said that God was setting me up and that God was ready to blow my mind. She told me to come alone with God through a kindness, a trail of being kind.

That day a few days ago, I forgot about my journey, and unfortunately I cannot that moment in time back to be kind.

No comments: