Saturday, June 13, 2009

I am the Cure

Last Sunday, I took part in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. My job had a team that was co-captained by two breast cancer survivors. One of my coworkers is in chemo right now for breast cancer, and one of my friend’s mother is a survivor.

The first thing that struck me was the number of people who took part in the walk. A voice inside my head kept repeating this is only one type of cancer.

As I walked, I was moved to see breast cancer survivors surrounded by their daughters, granddaughters, husbands, etc. I was also struck by the families who came together in honor of a loved one who passed away from the dreaded disease.

It was a pretty emotional morning, but I felt like I was taking part in something way bigger than me. I felt like I was walking in a community even though I didn’t know most of the people around me. We were all there for the same purpose and cause.

When I first woke up, a part of me lazily wanted to sleep in. Then I realized I had made a commitment to take part in the walk. I had an obligation to the people who donated money on my behalf and an obligation to the word I had given my coworkers that I would participate.

I am glad I got over myself and my own wants/desires in order to be part of a community.

No comments: