Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Getting Back to Basics



When I visited the monastery at the end of May, I was so impressed with the simplicity of the room. There was a bed, desk, lamp, chair, nightstand and one picture on the wall. It just felt free.

Since then, I’ve been on a mission to purge my house of some of the “stuff.” The first thing was going through my clothes and jewelry. There were clothes that were just not flattering since I have lost weight. Then there were clothes that I had not worn ever or for years. It was just time to clean out my clothes, drawers, and jewelry. Then I cleaned my closet and bedroom. Then the bathroom. Then the kitchen. Then lastly the living room. I went through every drawer, box, nook, and cranny in my place. I feel so much better and freer. The items will get a good home.

The living room was the hardest because I realize I do like little nick knacks. I could also give my bookshelf a purging, but I will leave that for another time since they all fit.

I do wonder how I accumulated so much stuff. We are definitely a consumer nation! And as we get older, I think we realize how little we actually need. As I have said before, the separation between wants and needs is a little blurred in society.

No comments: