Monday, July 6, 2015

Fit for the Kingdom: PCC Scroll Volume XIV Issue III



 
I wrote a fitness success story for the latest issue of the Scroll.

In this issue, we wanted to highlight a success story in the “Fit for the Kingdom” section.

I wanted to share a success story about crossing an item off of my bucket list. For many years, I have kept a list. The list consists of places I want to visit and life experiences I would like to do. The life experiences section includes items like going on a helicopter ride and going on a hot-air balloon ride. One thing that had been on my list was walking a half marathon. I have always loved walking. I find it relaxing and enjoyable. It’s also low impact, free, and being in the outdoors is good for me (all of that fresh air).

I can happily say that in the last seven months, I have walked two half marathons. So I was able to cross it off my list. It started in November, when I walked the Seattle Half Marathon. The marathon occurred the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The timing was great because I was able to enjoy all of the rich foods and desserts that are associated with Thanksgiving with absolutely no guilt. The goal finish time of my friends and I was four hours. We came in around four hours and five minutes, but that included stopping for potty breaks and stopping to take pictures.

Crossing the finish line was such a rush. I discovered I could do it. I can’t even describe the amount of pride I felt. I wasn’t sure what to expect when we began, but it was actually quite enjoyable. It was a cold, fall day but absolutely beautiful.

In mid-June, I walked the Seattle Rock and Roll Half Marathon. The goal for that race was four hours as well. We finished in three hours and 43 minutes, which was below target! We didn’t really stop for pictures, and if people needed to go to the potty, the rest of us kept going and they caught up.

The Rock and Roll has full and half marathon races all over the U.S. and in other countries like Spain, Portugal, and Ireland. Two other bucket list items could be walking a half marathon in another state and one in another country.

One of my former coworkers has a goal to do a marathon in all 50 states. I believe she has 14 states under her belt. I have a current coworker who wants to walk a full marathon (26.2 miles). I haven’t quite grasped that one yet, but who knows what the future holds. I do know that there are tons of 5Ks, 10Ks, and so on out there. If walking or running a marathon is on your goal list, you can do it! There are websites that have recommended training schedules to help you prepare.

I am on the hunt for other walks I can do. If you are interested in joining me, please let me know! Let’s walk to wellness together.

Seattle Marathon Finishers

Rock and Roll Seattle Marathon Finishers


No comments: