Saturday, October 26, 2013

Some Munich, Linderhof and Oberammergou

Started the morning off at Nymphenburg. The palace was closed but the grounds were open. It was built for a king to thank his wife for having a son. The couple had been married for ten years or so and only had a girl, then they prayed and I think did a pilgrimage and a son was born. The original portion is smaller but then it was expanded over 200 years. The area around it is residential and where people live, but a more expensive area. Very nice. Love the architecture.

Did a drive by of the Olympic Park. There was a big flea market so it was cool. Also near the BMW plant.

Spent some time in the Old City, but I took it easy as I will have tons of time to explore over the next four days. Did hang out in Marienplatz and spent some time in the Church of our Lady. Caught a bit in the Victual's Market. Will do a repeat and expand what I saw.

Then to Linderhof, which was quite nice. The rooms were complete, and they were breathtaking. Ludwig II did spend a lot of money! He spent the last years of his life living there alone besides his servants. Depending on who you ask, he was mad. Sounds a bit eccentric, artistic maybe. Not equipped to rule, but he was born to the spot.

Also went to Oberammergou, which is where the Passion of the Christ is staged. Had time to do a quick scroll, get some ice-cream, and visit a wood carver's shop. Nice work.

Tonight was the farewell dinner for the tour. I'm tired or I'd write more.

Thank God we fall back tomorrow. I could use the extra sleep. The next four days are kind of unknown. I have some ideas, but I'll just roll with the punches.

xoxo

No comments: