Thursday, October 3, 2013

PCC Scroll Volume XII Issue IV


Here is my latest article from the PCC Scroll.

I was mulling over the theme of this quarter’s newsletter, which is “Reset: Take God off Pause.” My mind kept focusing on the word reset. In my mind, the word was correlating with the sub-theme, which is “Getting Back on Track.”

Bing Dictionary (online) defines reset as, “set something again; put something back to zero.”

The editing team of the PCC Scroll recently reset during our yearly retreat with Kris Fulsaas. It was a great time to recommit to the newsletter and the newsletter’s mission. It was also a great time to plan for our next calendar year.

At my job, my work team resets twice a year during team retreats. During these times, we review our goals, and we track our progress toward them.

But in our hectic, busy lives, finding the time to reset can be difficult, but I find it’s very important.

I reset each year by going on a vacation. During that time, I do not check work email or voice mail. I mention this because many of us are still plugged into the matrix even on vacation, which defeats the entire point of getting away. Work will survive without me, so I totally unplug.

During a vacation, I will spend each evening journaling. I take the time to write about my important relationships and things I can do better. I take the time to set goals for myself for the next year. I write about my commitments to church to take pulse if I am on the right assignments. I write about my job and what my next career steps are. I write about my health and how I am doing. You name an aspect of my life, I write about it. It helps me reset, recommit, and refocus.

Vacations are a great time and place to reset, recommit, and refocus even if you can only go a few hours away. For example, there is a priory in Lacey, WA, called St. Placid that I have been to a few times. It is driving distance to Seattle, but it feels like another time and place. It is the perfect place to get away and reset.

It is too easy to continue to do the same things over and over without ever doing a sanity check to make sure we are still on track. How many of us have taken the time to ask God if we are heading in the direction He wants us?

I am reminded of when my computer begins to act awry at work, and I call the Help Desk about it. Often times, they will have me shutdown my computer, let it sit for a minute, and turn it back on. And nine out of ten times, this simple reset will do the trick.

Whether you have two weeks or one day, taking the time to reflect on your life is crucial. It is time to reset and make sure you are on the track God desires you to be on.

No comments: