Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Week 49

On Sunday, my Pastor spoke about forgiveness, and so I decided to use the scripture for my devotional yesterday. He came from the text in Luke 17:1-4, which is below.

“Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones. Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.”

Sometimes without trying, I offend people. Sometimes without trying, people offend me. I try to be laidback and let things roll off of me. Most things won’t matter in a week, a month, and most certainly not in a year.

My goal is to live as peacefully among people as I can. But, not everyone has this goal, especially people whose wounds are still raw or un-dealt with. It’s hard to love people who lash out at you, and it’s hard to want to be around them. However, I’m learning that a soft answer often deflates the rage. If it doesn’t, it’s time to move away. I am not perfect, but it’s never made sense to me to try to fight with a person who is already hurting and damaged. BUT, that doesn’t mean there is a part of me that does wants to lash back. When it comes down to it, I really just don’t see the point. Having grown up in a war zone, I've already seen enough to last me a lifetime.

I was thinking about forgiveness and reactions to the offenses, and I thought about this piece I wrote back probably in 2006. I posted it in 2008, and the link is below. For that entry I used Luke 6:27-38, which talks about offering the other cheek. Not sure if I am there, but certainly willing to give people the benefit of a doubt.

http://latonja.blogspot.com/2008/11/forgiveness.html

When it comes down to it, holding on to bitterness and resentment and anger do more damage to the person holding on to the emotions. Bitterness, resentment, and anger have an impact on our health, and they have an impact on how we treat others, and by others I mean everyone else but the person who made the offense.

Life is too short. Forgive and move on. Easier said than done, but the person they most benefit is you.

No comments: