Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Week 21

The women’s group at my church had a special service this past Friday. The theme of the service was “Amber Alert.” Part of the service was writing down what you wanted to give over to God. So, I wrote some things down, and I went to the altar for prayer.

One thing that struck me was that the speaker told me I was an “influencer.” This made me chuckle in my spirit because that is not a word I would use to describe myself. But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized this actually may be true. I realize that God has given us light that is supposed to reach the darkest of places. When my light is on, it shines very brightly.

I’ve been realizing this week I need to begin meditating on who God tells me I am. Not who I tell myself I am. Not who anyone else tells me I am. I need to know who God tells me I am and walk in that.

Because of that, I choose Matthew 5:14-16 for my devotional. It reads, “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”

I need to do a better job of keeping my light shining even when I don’t feel like it. Whatever that means.

No comments: