Monday, May 16, 2011

Week 20

I received a voicemail from my mom yesterday letting me know that my dad’s mom had passed away. Of course, this makes her my grandmother. The thing is that I didn’t really know her. I met her when I was an adult once, maybe twice. We exchanged a few letters, but that was about it. If you add the time I saw here and the time I spent reading and writing letters from/to her, it probably wouldn’t add up to 24 hours.

It did get me thinking about my sister, my cousin, and my aunt. These are the people closest to me who have died. My aunt raised me since I was 16-months old, so it was more like losing my mom. My cousin was raised as my sibling so it was more like losing a brother.

I was very sad this morning thinking about this. Honey was 25. Brett was 18 or 19. My aunt was 62. These are young ages (even my aunt’s 62). The anniversary of my aunt’s death is in a few weeks and on my mind. Life is so short. Too short to waste, and too short to waste on people who in the end don’t matter.

This caused me to use Job 1:21 as my devotional. It reads, “And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.”

Thinking on this scripture led me to think about my own mortality, which led me to Job 7:1. It reads, “Is there not an appointed time to man upon earth? are not his days also like the days of an hireling?”

Time. I have no idea of how much time I have left. This scares me sometimes. I think of all that I want to do. I think of the words that have been spoken over my life. When will this come? I quite accidently stumbled across Habakkuk 2:3. It reads, “For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.”

While I have not done any contextual study of this word, it does lead me to believe that God hasn’t forgotten His desire of me. God will, despite my own shortcomings, bring me to a place where I can achieve what He desires of me. I have some idea of what this is. There is an appointed time, and it will come to pass!

No comments: