Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Week 7

For week seven, I read 1 Corinthians 13 which was fitting considering Valentine’s Day was yesterday. I like this scripture because it tells me what love is.

As I was thinking about the scripture, I remembered two things from my past that involved the same person. He was a friend of mine. Our friendship was reaching its end point, and I was emotionally exhausted after so many ups and downs in our friendship.

We were in a heavy conversation, and he told me he loved me. I remember blurting out, “No you don’t.” Of course, he was offended and got angry. But, the truth was that based on his actions, I knew that he did not love me. He was not kind. He was not humble. He was not consideration. He did not give.

Towards the very end, he told me he loved me. I was silent, and he asked me if I had heard him, and said yes. Then, he got frustrated of course.

Love is an action. It doesn’t put me down or put me in my place. It doesn’t hurt or belittle me. It isn’t threatened by my success or accomplishments. It doesn’t take advantage of my emotions or attachment.

I am very careful who I tell I love them. I have had people tell me they love me and then walk at the slightest provocation. That is not the type of love I want to receive or give. I think it’s so important to tell the people who you love that you love them. I think it’s equally as an important to understand what that means and mean it.

I think back to people I have loved, but my love wasn’t mature, which is unfortunate. There is a maturity that is needed to manifest the love described in verses 4-8. I just pray I get there!

No comments: