Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I Miss My Sister/I Want My Sister Back

Mid-September to early October is a hard time for me.

September 21 is my sister Honey’s birthday. She died in a car accident when I was 23 aka 12 years ago.

The last conversation I had with her was in mid-September. She called to talk to me, but I was too tired to talk. I remember us laughing as I was trying to hang up, but she wanted to talk. I was like dude I have to go and practically hung up on her. She tried calling back, but I did not pick up the phone. She urgently wanted to talk to me.

Fast forward about a week to her 25 birthday, and I could not reach her. I tried, and I tried, but just couldn’t connect. I was not able to wish her a happy birthday. I urgently wanted to talk to her.

Fast forward a few weeks to the call I never wanted to get.

My sister knew/knows I love her. But, that final conversation we had when I did not tell her one last time will always stay with me. That final conversation where I was too tired to take the time to talk to her will always stay with me.

Now, I try to hug my friends and family when I see them. I try to tell them that I love them because you never really know when it will be the last time.

Her death taught me a lot about who actually cared for me. I remember I sought out comfort from people who I thought would comfort me, but you know how that goes.

I went through a lot of guilt over her dying and not me. She had kids, I had none. I kept asking God why (and I still haven’t gotten the answer to that question). I was so angry when she died. I remember when I turned 25, I didn't feel like I had the right to turn that age. Then I turned 26, and so, and so on.

I remember sitting at her funeral stone faced and mad at the world. I still haven’t cried about it. I just suppress the emotion like if I cry it will be admitting that she is gone from this life. It's like the last picture I have with her. That's it.

The funny thing is that I still expect to pick up the phone and hear her voice. She still owes me money. She used to make me laugh. She could have been a comedian. I am thankful the time we had as sisters, and what a time it was.

• I remember Cathy, Honey, and me singing “We are Family” with towels on our heads when we were little.
• I remember Cathy, Honey, and me staying up every Christmas Eve and watching a Christmas Story all night.
• I remember Cathy, Honey, and me staying up watching Night Tracks on Fridays and Saturdays.
• I remember Cathy, Honey, and me staying up all night the night before the first day of school.
• I remember Cathy, Honey, and me doing our first solo plane trip together.
• I remember Cathy, Honey, and me being in Jump Rope for Heart together.
• I remember Cathy, Honey, and me playing house and dolls together. I also remember early on when LaQuita would play with us. LaQuita was Big Tina, Cathy was Judy. I forgot Honey’s name but I was CeCe and I hated that name.
• I remember Cathy, Honey, and me used to go trick-or-treating and we would go far from home.
• I remember Cathy, Honey, and me in my aunt’s garden like slaves. We were so bitter to be out there.
• I remember Cathy, Honey, and me used to go pick plums from this tree in ML.
• I remember the time Honey got stung by a bee and swelled like a balloon and had to be taken to the hospital. We didn’t realize it was actually life threatening and laughed and laughed and laughed. Actually, it’s still funny.
• I remember Honey was allergic to everything and had asthma
• I remember Honey teaching me how to fight.
• I remember one night at dinner Honey didn’t want to eat what was on her plate. And my aunt made her sit there then she started crying because she said a spider was following her. That was hilarious!
• I remember when Honey made some rolls from a recipe she learned at home-economics and they were harder than rocks.
• I remember Honey coming to visit me when I was at the UW.
• I remember Honey doing my hair when I was a teenager.
• I remember when I was in sixth grade, I used to wear my sisters clothes without them knowing it. They left before me, and I got back before them. I would wear their stuff and then rush home and put it back in their closets.
• I remember that it’s good to remember.

2 comments:

Amy J said...

LaTonja, that was a special tribute. Thanks for sharing it with me. It is always a good reminder to not take for granted the relationships we have.

I hope you have found some comfort in your faith. I know God has a plan for us and even when it makes no sense, it helps me to trust Him. But those of us left behind find a way to keep on plugging along. And to find joy in those special memories. Hugs.

Liza said...

I remember riding the bus one day and Angela falling off her seat and getting stuck. Also, I remember all of us laughing a lot, being silly and cracking jokes. It's good to remember those funny times!

Angela may not have been on this Earth as long as we have, but she touched many lives and her life had meaning. That's a great gift!