Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Galway Day Two

Galway has a really cool laid back feel to it.

Today, we took a tour of the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher. Our guide, Desmond Rory Murray, was very excellent. He had us rolling the entire trip. If I had only one word to describe him, it would be "fresh".

Speaking of fresh, we went to the Internet cafe yesterday and a very handsome (older) man (John) worked there. It turns our he is staying at our B&B as well. He just moved back to Ireland from South Africa and Spain.

Oh, I forgot to mention we saw a family we had met in Dingle while we were enroute to Galway. We have met so many Americans I am wondering who is watching the country!

The Burren is quite impressive. It's 320 square kilometers and is home to 70% of native flora. It's quite poetic how the wild flowers, ferns, etc. grow amongst the barren rock. I think I heard the Burren described as forgettable but nothing could be further from the truth. I could write poems for days on what the area symbolizes in the human condition and spirit. Then there are areas that overlook the water...get out of here. I could spend days there.

We saw the Cliffs of Moher which I consider to be the climax of my trip. They were so beautiful. Romantically beautiful yet tragically dangerous. Again, I could write poems for days, which I should tell you guys I haven't been inspired for poetry in quite a long time.

I saw the Kilferno Cathedral and Crosses. It is a sixth century monastery. There were also some weird tombstones.

Speaking of tombstones, saw the Poulnabrone Dolmen which are 5800 years old and older than the pyramids. They were constructed by Neolithic farmers. It's a portal tomb that looks like a stone table. Very interesting and was known as the druids altar. We also saw the Gleninsheen Wedge Tomb which dates back to 2500 BC.

We caught glimpse of this abbey and saw the Dunguaire Castle from the outside.

We saw an interesting fort called the Ballyalban Fairy Fort. It's prehistoric and was once surrounded by water which tells how much the landscape has changed over time.

So tomorrow we head back to Dublin and Friday I'm on my way, I'm on my way, home sweet home. Ready or not. I haven't quite gotten my head around coming back to reality. I'll try to be Zen about it.

No comments: