Saturday, September 5, 2009

End of the Journey

I am currently home!

On Wednesday, I visited St. Nicholas Cathedral with Pam, which was closed. I was totally sad because it has wooden sculptures of the Stations of the Cross I wanted to see, and it has a mosaic of JFK. There is a bridge called the Simon Weir Bridge that "connects" the church to the courthouse. I say connects because there used to be a prison where the church now stands. It was sort of the Dublin Bridge of Sighs as it was the last glimpse of the city prisoners saw from the courthouse to the prison. Rick referred to Galway as the Venice of Ireland because of this and the canal/bridges.

One thing I liked about Dublin (and Rome, Paris, and London) is the series of bridges that coast the rivers through there. I think I mentioned the Liffey River was flowing extra hard because of all the rain. Also, water was standing everyone: roads, fields, and streets.

We took a bus from Galway to Dublin, checked in, and hit Dublin for one last hurrah. We ended up hanging out at Temple Bar, I know, I know ultra-touristy, and listening to live music. Whenever I hear Galway Girl, it will remind me of Ireland because I heard the song several times while I was there and was able to sing along. ;) That evening we went back to Kozie's but our guy Michael was not there. Sad.

I had so much fun with Candy and Pam. We are all pretty laid back and there weren't any issues with moods, attitudes, etc. Just two wonderful women I was able to take a fabulous journey with.

The journey home was okay. I was up for 24 hours, which helped me sleep through last night.

Now, I am back to Seattle and the rain. It feels nice to be home.

The good news is that I am way under budget so I get transfer the money back into savings and let it be a springboard into my next trip. The question is where to next?!

No comments: