Monday, April 1, 2013

Volume XXII Issue II

Here is the latest's editors corner from my church newsletter. This issue was Issue 46! A year away from 50!



I was recently given a compliment that made me pause and think. The compliment was, “LaTonja, there is something about you that portrays such joy.”

The comment stuck with me throughout the day, and I began thinking about the source of my joy. It also caused me to reflect on the past. There was a time when I know that I was very unhappy. Although I had periods of happiness, I did not have real joy.

There are many scriptures that talk about joy in the Bible. Romans 15:13 says, “Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Spirit.” In the NIV, Psalm 28:7 says, “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.” John 15:11 says, “These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.”

Even with help from the scripture, I struggle to adequately put in writing the source of my joy. Simply put, it’s God, but it runs deeper than I can find the words to express.

God has given us the fruit of the spirit, which gives us love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance.

God has also given us the assurance that all things will work for our good. Life will sometimes bring low times and rough patches, but we still have the faith and hope that things will work themselves out. I will call this hope in action.

I know for myself that there is always a life lesson to be learned in the storm. And, when the storm is over, I will emerge tougher and stronger. I might not be “happy” during those times, but the joy and peace of God is still there. And, when that test, trial, or struggle is over, I can move on to the next fight stronger and more confident. If God saw me through this storm, He will see me through the next. And perhaps that is the point. God’s joy has nothing to do with a feeling of happiness, but it has everything to do with having an internal joy and peace that only our hope in God can provide.

Unfortunately, not everyone has this in their lives. There are people hurting all over the world that need to be introduced to the hope and joy that comes from a relationship with God. In a world that wants to take, we can offer a God who wants to give. In a world of hate, we can offer a God who loves. In a world of chaos, we can offer a God of peace.

Perhaps this old song sums it best:

This Joy that I have the world didn’t give to me
This Joy that I have the world didn’t give to me
This Joy that I have the world didn’t give to me
The world didn't give it the world can’t take it away

No comments: